Animal Welfare Skills
Course Duration: 1 Day
Pricing: $465.00 + GST per person
This course is designed for people who are responsible for ensuring animal welfare compliance within the work area. It provides the knowledge and skills to effectively monitor, handle and slaughter livestock as documented in organisational quality systems, and consistent with legislative and international market requirements.
‘This was a huge help in monitoring animal treatment, welfare and transportation, and guidelines in the Animal Welfare Act’ Anonymous
What is covered?
- Importance of animal welfare
- The five freedoms of animal welfare
- Animal welfare legislation
- Responsibilities and actions
- Best practice in animal handling
- Three species - sheep, cattle, deer and bobby calf
Who should attend?
- Stockyard personnel involved in managing the receipt and processing of animals for slaughter
- Slaughterboard personnel involved in humane slaughter
- Stock buyers involved in the purchasing of animals for slaughter
- Any person responsible for overseeing the procurement and delivery of animals for slaughter e.g. transport operators
- Compliance staff
- Develop an increased awareness of how important animal treatment is to the quality of the end product
- Ensure your workplace consistently meets and exceeds customer expectations
- Provide confidence of compliance with the guidelines prescribed by the Animal Welfare Act 1999
- Satisfies the EU welfare at slaughter regulation 1099/2009 to provide an Animal Welfare Officer on site
- Train with a NZQA registered Private Training Establishment (PTE)
Unit standard 20644 - Demonstrate knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act in relation to the meat processing industry (Level 3) (5 credits). To be completed on the course.
There is no prerequisite.
Public scheduled courses are held 9am - 5pm each dayClick here to make a personal enquiry and we’ll be in touch