Environmental Sustainability is one of the key foundations of our Strategy - Sustainable for Aotearoa. We have a deep responsibility to do the right thing for food and the environments it comes from.
As Kaitiaki Kai, we collaborate with others, sharing our knowledge, resources, and skills so that everyone benefits – not just in the immediate future, but for generations to come.
We’re on a journey to reduce our impact to the environment. To help us achieve this, we’ve introduced a range of initiatives which include:
- Adopting an Environmental Sustainability Policy
- Offsetting air travel carbon with credits
- Encouraging virtual meetings where practical to reduce associated travel
- Purchasing hybrid vehicles for fleet replacement
- Completed our first Materiality Assessment
- Established an internal Sustainability Steering Committee
- Joining the Sustainable Business Network
- Launching Supplier Sustainability Code of Ethics Policy
- Improving cultural competency
- Initiating a Waste Reduction Audit
- Achieved Toitū carbonreduce certification
Our reduction targets
We have identified six key areas of our environmental footprint to focus on initially. We started measuring our progress in 2021 and have set some targets to achieve by 2025.
A Materiality Assessment is a tool used to help form the basis of a sustainability strategy. It formalises and prioritises areas of focus according to external and internal stakeholders and potential business impacts. The outcome of this assessment is a Materiality Matrix. From late 2021 to March 2022, we completed our first Materiality Assessment. Our Materiality Matrix shows that these three areas are critical to AsureQuality’s success:
- Effective service delivery that meets customer needs
- Building a healthy and happy workforce
- Expanding capabilities in data, insights, and advanced audit technology.
In addition to these three critical areas are others of importance. These relate to innovation, thought leadership, sustainability leadership and providing guidance to our customers and partners. Our strategy reflects our Materiality Assessment, highlighting the importance of environmental sustainability, community engagement, and wellbeing.
We are proud members of the Sustainable Business Network committed to working together to empower business so that people and nature prosper. Through our membership contribution we support the restoration of New Zealand’s waterways through our membership contribution to Million Metres.
To support our environmental sustainability efforts, we joined Toitū in 2020 and began to monitor our carbon emissions. In 2022 AsureQuality become a Toitū carbonreduce certified organisation in line with ISO 14064 1. We are proud to take science-based action to sustain the life of this place, our people and our future.
The need for environmental assurance is rapidly growing. We are building a suite of services to help customers showcase best practice and meet regulatory requirements. Wherever you are on your environmental sustainability journey, we can support you through training, technical insights, or certification services.