This course is designed for people who are responsible for ensuring animal welfare compliance within the work area.
It provides the knowledge and skills to effectively monitor, handle and slaughter livestock as documented in organisational quality systems, and consistent with legislative and international market requirements.
"This was a huge help in monitoring animal treatment, welfare and transportation, and guidelines in the Animal Welfare Act." Anonymous
What is covered?
- Importance of animal welfare
- The five freedoms of animal welfare
- Animal welfare legislation
- Responsibilities and actions
- Animal behaviour
- Best practice in animal handling
- Four specialist types of training - sheep, cattle, deer and bobby calf
Who should attend?
- Stockyard personnel involved in managing the receipt and processing of
animals for slaughter
- Slaughterboard personnel involved in humane slaughter
- Supervisory staff
- Stock buyers involved in the purchasing of animals for slaughter
- Any person responsible for overseeing the procurement and delivery of animals for slaughter eg. transport operators
- Compliance staff
- Develop an increased awareness of how important animal treatment is to the quality of the end product
- Ensure your workplace consistently meets and exceeds customer expectations
- Provide confidence of compliance with the guidelines prescribed by the Animal Welfare Act 1999
- Satisfies the EU welfare at slaughter regulation 1099/2009 to provide an Animal Welfare Officer on site
- Train with a NZQA registered Private Training Establishment (PTE)
The client accepts full responsibility for failure to abide by any pre-course or post-course requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, completing and returning
course documents, evidence of competency, attestation forms.
Clients will be given a timeframe to complete these forms and return to AsureQuality. Failure to return a completed attestation or verification before due
date may prevent the unit standard from being processed as competent, certificate issue and fail to complete recorded on the training record.
Timeframe for completion
10 weeks from the course start date
If you require an extension for this assessment, please contact our team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer different training options for this course.
Public Schedule Classroom: See our selection of set course dates on our public schedule. Individuals can attend courses that are delivered in the classroom, face to face with our trainer. We supply catering for your training on the day. You will see the date and location (City + venue) beside each option to choose your preferred course to attend. We encourage you to train with your team and can offer group pricing for groups of 3 or more trainees.
Online Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT): Individuals can train from their home or workplace. You will see a course date and this option for some of our courses. These courses are managed in the same way our classroom courses are, however, all classes are virtual. After you register, you will receive a link to sign in to our online class prior to the course date. We suggest you are prepared for this training by checking below:
- Please ensure you have a stable internet connection for the session.
- Ensure you have access to a microphone and webcam
- Where possible, choose a quiet space where you are unlikely to be interrupted for the duration of your training.
- For VILT, it is recommended each of your trainees have their own device or laptop to engage well with the trainer.
In-House Training: We offer training in-house exclusively for your team. We can deliver in the classroom face to face, to a maximum class size of 12 trainees.
Unit standard 20644 - Demonstrate knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act in relation to the meat processing industry (Level 3) (5 credits). To be completed on the course.
There is no prerequisite.
Note: Currently this course is only available to domestic students. Please contact us if you are not a domestic student and would like to register your interest in this course.