Animal Welfare Skills
Duration: 1 day, Cost: $540.00 per person + GST
Interested in Virtual Instructor-Led Training?
Our focus is minimising any potential disruptions to our customers and partners, working with you as you navigate scenarios that may be affecting your business, and respecting policies you may be putting in place.
We are able to offer this training via Virtual Instructor-Led Training. Click here (external link) to enrol for online training dates, waitlist or to send an enquiry for this training via VILT.
This course is designed for people who are responsible for ensuring animal welfare compliance within the work area.
It provides the knowledge and skills to effectively monitor, handle and slaughter livestock as documented in organisational quality systems, and consistent with legislative and international market requirements.
"This was a huge help in monitoring animal treatment, welfare and transportation, and guidelines in the Animal Welfare Act." Anonymous
What is covered?
- Importance of animal welfare
- The five freedoms of animal welfare
- Animal welfare legislation
- Responsibilities and actions
- Animal behaviour
- Best practice in animal handling
- Four specialist types of training - sheep, cattle, deer and bobby calf
Who should attend?
- Stockyard personnel involved in managing the receipt and processing of
animals for slaughter
- Slaughterboard personnel involved in humane slaughter
- Supervisory staff
- Stock buyers involved in the purchasing of animals for slaughter
- Any person responsible for overseeing the procurement and delivery of animals for slaughter eg. transport operators
- Compliance staff
- Develop an increased awareness of how important animal treatment is to the quality of the end product
- Ensure your workplace consistently meets and exceeds customer expectations
- Provide confidence of compliance with the guidelines prescribed by the Animal Welfare Act 1999
- Satisfies the EU welfare at slaughter regulation 1099/2009 to provide an Animal Welfare Officer on site
- Train with a NZQA registered Private Training Establishment (PTE)
Unit standard 20644 - Demonstrate knowledge of the Animal Welfare Act in relation to the meat processing industry (Level 3) (5 credits). To be completed on the course.
There is no prerequisite.
Note: Currently this course is only available to domestic students. Please contact us if you are not a domestic student and would like to register your interest in this course.