VTA (Vertebrate Toxic Agent) Training
Duration: 1 day, Cost: $750 + GST per person
This course is designed to meet the legal requirements of the ACVM Hazardous Substance and New Organism Act and the New Work Safe Act.
It provides the knowledge and skills to prepare trainees to use the poisons involved in pest control.
What is covered?
- New Zealand legislation that controls the use of VTAs.
- Who needs to be licenced and what that entails.
- The types and uses of controlled substances.
- The types of pests that they control.
- How to stay safe while using VTAs..
Who should attend?
- Individuals who wish to become an approved handler for VTA and gain a controlled substance licence.
- Individuals training who work in the pest control field.
- Field supervisors.
- Site location storemen and supervisors at retail outlets selling VTAs.
- Understand the requirements of the legislation.
- Understand the basics of staying safe with VTAs including rules, types of safety gear, emergency response.
- Overview of the procedures for storage, transport and disposal of VTAs.
- Train with a NZQA recognised Private Training Establishment (PTE)
This course can be delivered by Online Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT): Individuals can train from their home or workplace. You will see a course date and this option for some of our courses. These courses are managed in the same way our classroom courses are, however, all classes are virtual. After you register, you will receive a link to sign in to our online class prior to the course date. We suggest you are prepared for this training by checking below:
- Please ensure you have a stable internet connection for the session.
- Ensure you have access to a microphone and webcam
- Where possible, choose a quiet space where you are unlikely to be interrupted for the duration of your training.
- For VILT, it is recommended each of your trainees have their own device or laptop to engage well with the trainer.
In-House Training: We offer training in-house exclusively for your team. We can deliver in the classroom face to face, to a maximum class size of 10 trainees.
2 assessment pages, practical exercises and a written assessment
There is no prerequisite however trainees must have a job in pest control pending their training and licensing.
- Comprehensive resource material
- An AsureQuality completion certificate
- A police check
- Certified Handler Certificate on achievement of assessment competency
- AsureQuality can facilitate the CSL application with Worksafe as needed. All documentation must be completed in full in order to process the application
This programme provides formal training and assessment as required for VTAs for which you may require a Certified Handler Certificate:
- Potassium Cyanide
- Sodium Cyanide
- Yellow Phosphorous
- DRC 1339
- Sodium Fluoroacetate (1080)
- Microencapsulated Zinc Phosphide (MZP)
- Alphachoralose solid
Note: Currently this course is only available to domestic students. Please contact us if you are not a domestic student and would like to register your interest in this course.
- Early Bird Offer
- Limited Spaces